By Billy Hammond (Copyright AELS)

November 25, 2019

In teaching kids breakfalls in karate and aikido over the years, I’ve learned that one of the most difficult things to teach is falling forward and absorbing the shock with the forearms while keeping the wrists in line with the forearms. Human instinct causes people to stretch out their arms and try to break their fall with their outstretched palms. Doing so often results in a Colles Fracture of the radius. According to Professor Peter Biberthaler, MD who’s teaching the Technische Universität München (TUM) course in Trauma Surgery I’m taking, “Radius fractures are the form of fracture most frequently experienced by human beings.” Apparently, Colles fractures make up 90% of the radius fractures in Germany each year (the other 10% are Smith fractures [flexion fracture])

It’s a fracture that has been covered in all of my courses in general anatomy and the upper limb and is also often called a “dinner fork deformity” fracture in the US because it results in a posterior angulation of the forearm in relationship to the wrist. Another name it goes by in America is one of the types of FOOSH (Fall on OutStretched Hand) fractures. However, in Germany it appears to only go by the name of a Colles fracture.

Stable fractures are usually treated without surgery, while more severe fractures are treated minimally invasively with K wires or compression screws. Complicated severe fractures are treated surgically with plate osteosynthesis.

Link to Colles Fracture X-ray photo.

コーレス(コリーズ)骨折

長年、空手道と合気道指導の中で子供達に受身を教えている間、最も難しいいことは前に倒れる時に腕で衝撃を受けることだと分かった。人間の本能では両手を伸ばして手の平で受けることは自然からだ。しかし、その受身方によると橈骨遠位部の骨折がよく起きる。これはコーレス(コリーズ)骨折と呼ばれる。現在受けているTechnische Universität München (TUM)提供のPeter Biberthaler医学博士が教える「 The Basics of Trauma Surgery外傷外科の基本)」のコースには教授が「橈骨骨折は人間が最もよく経験する骨折だ」と発言した。どうやら、ドイツではコーレス骨折は橈骨骨折の9割をしめる(残りの1割はスミス骨折[屈曲骨折])

確かに今まで受けてきた解剖学の全てのコースにコーレス骨折が含まれていた。アメリカでは手首に対しての前腕との角度の変形により「dinner fork deformity (フォーク状変形)」とも呼ばれる。他の呼び方としてFOOSH骨折(Fall on OutStretched Hand)1もある。しかし、ドイツではコーレス骨折は一般的らしい。

安定した骨折は手術なしで治療し、少し難しい骨折はキルシュナー鋼線またはコンプレッションねじで、複雑な骨折はプレート挿入の骨接合術で治療する。

コーレス骨折イメージリンク

**********

Books published by AELS (AELS出版書籍)

魔女学院&光塾:魔女ガールズの冒険

原作&翻訳:ビレー ハモンド

日本語編集:伊庭野れい子

Majoh Gakuin & Hikari Juku – Japanese Witch Schools – English Edition (魔女学院&光塾(英語)

By Billy Hammond

迷える魔女の戦い (魔女学院&光塾シリーズ第2)

原作&翻訳:ビレー ハモンド

日本語編集:伊庭野れい子

Lost Witch (Majoh Gakuin & Hikari Juku Series Book 2) – English Edition (迷える魔女: 魔女学院&光塾第2弾:英語版)

By Billy Hammond

幸せを運ぶ魔法のチャレンジ 魔女学院&光塾シリーズの第3(Fate & Magic Jp)

原作&翻訳:ビレー ハモンド

日本語編集:伊庭野れい子

“Fate & Magic” Majoh Gakuin & Hikari Juku Series – Japanese Witch Schools Book 3 – English Edition (幸せを運ぶ魔法のチャレンジの英語版)

By Billy Hammond

Regressed 「過去に生きて・・・」

原作&翻訳:ビレー ハモンド

日本語編集:伊庭野れい子

Regressed – English Edition

By Billy Hammond

*************